Starting in 1960 several European packaging research institutes and one from the United States met every two years to discuss common problems in research and testing. Then in 1969 at a meeting at the Danish Packaging Institute in Copenhagen it was decided to officially form an international body.
IAPRI was established in 1971 with seven members as an international membership association to promote packaging research and education. IAPRI is a unique global network which allows organizations to communicate and develop ideas, exchange experiences and in many cases reduce duplication of effort. IAPRI was headquartered in the United Kingdom as an unincorporated association until in 2017 the offices were moved to the United States and IAPRI was incorporated as a non-profit 501-(C) (6) association.
Today IAPRI has 90 members from 29 countries.The aims of IAPRI
These aims are supported and enabled by:
- To establish and advance professional and personal relations between representatives of packaging research and/or education institutions in the world.
- To share information and to obtain peer review with respect to methodology, analysis, and potential outcomes at early stages of research projects.
- To exchange projected research interests which are being planned by institutions.
- To exchange experience with respect to instrumentation, measurement and analysis techniques especially as they relate to development of new standards and test methods.
- To give advice on the equipment and apparatus which may be employed by member institutions for specific research testing or education in packaging.
- To avoid duplication of work by means of the above exchange of information between institutions during IAPRI working groups and conferences.
- To promote packaging science and technology to important target groups, including international organizations, government bodies and foundations.
- To contribute to the academic recognition of education programs on packaging.
- The publication of a newsletter, Working Group information and calendar of events on the IAPRI website.
- The arrangement of IAPRI conferences, symposia, lectures and other educational activities.
- The development of interaction with publishers to facilitate the recognition and publishing of scientific and scholarly work.
Scientific papers from several of the past IAPRI World Packaging Conferences and Symposiums starting in 2010 and past IAPRI Global Packaging Research Newsletters dating back to December of 2005 are available to members in the File Archives section in the Resources Folder.IAPRI By-LawsIAPRI Operating PoliciesFind out about Membership Categories and Benefitsof membership